Hardly a day goes by where we don’t learn of something utterly terrible happening to our environment, our economy, our reputation, or our people. And the underlying thread to all of these is an incompetent government. The Abbott Government, to be precise.
Think back to the days of the Rudd/Gillard Governments and the daily dose of gloom and doom we were fed by the Murdoch media. Plus of course, their endless sensationalism about anything and everything from the clothes Julia Gillard wore to the way Kevin Rudd flicked his hair. It was so pathetic.
As was pointed out by someone here the other day, Julia Gillard was the first Prime Minister in 40 years to see interest rates, the unemployment rate, and the inflation rate under 5 per cent at the same time. But according to the Murdoch media we were all going to hell in a basket. And weren’t they rabid about it?
Well, what a mess we’re in now, but what does the Murdoch media say about these, to name just a few examples:
- The crashing dollar.
- The Stock Market’s worst day in three years.
- Low interest rates (which were bad under Labor, according to Joe Hockey).
- The highest unemployment level in 20 years.
- The Prime Minister’s excessive travel claims.
- A Prime Minister who talks like a raving mad man.
- Funding cuts to essential services.
- Housing affordability (or lack thereof).
- Business closures.
- Budgets not being passed.
- Links to the Mafia (no matter how remote),
- Asylum seekers dying under the government’s watch.
- Protestors taking to the streets (on which they’ve been quiet, but I remember them giving oxygen to the ‘convoy of shame’ against the ‘carbon tax’).
I could go on, but I’ll leave that up to you to add to the list.
The point is, any of those would have been thrashed to death by the Murdoch media if we had a Labor Government. Their silence now is disturbing. Don’t you think?
It’s rather amusing that they claim to be the voice that holds governments to account. It’s a pity it doesn’t include the Abbott Government.