Voters must have an intense dislike of asylum seekers.
The latest Morgan Poll is great for the government, which sees them leading the opposition 56.5/43.5.
Taking away personalities (ie, disregarding that many people obviously like Malcolm Turnbull), it really is hard to see what the government has going for them.
If re-elected, they will make life harder or more miserable for near on all of the population. “Yes we can” says the poster. And yes they will. For example, if re-elected they:
- will be doing nothing to address climate change
- will possibly increase the GST, costing each family about $4,000 a year
- will continue to ignore science of any description
- will be doing nothing about housing affordability
- will be doing nothing about the high unemployment levels
- will be providing us with internet speeds that are the worst in the world
- will continue to tighten the screws for people on welfare or income support
- will still be giving billions to the mining companies
- they will do nothing about the huge gap in wealth inequality (quite the opposite, they will continue to pander to the rich)
- will do nothing to help the disadvantaged in our society (they will probably cut funding even further)
- will continue to beat around the bush as far as same-sex marriage goes
- have intentions of changing the media ownership laws which will give Murdoch even more control of our media (and they’ll probably cut funding to the ABC even further)
- will continue to demonise innocent people (Gillian Triggs is a good example)
- will make it more costly to see a doctor or a specialist
- if economists are correct, the government will lead us into a recession
- will keep ripping coal out of our beautiful country – coal that nobody wants
- will make tertiary education unaffordable
- will strip away our citizenship if (as a dual citizen) we do as much as destroy a government owned coffee table
- will spy on our every movement
- will jail anybody who dares report on atrocities committed by the government
- . . . and on and on the list goes
But . . . they will keep telling us that they’ve stopped the boats and we’re safe from all those murderous would-be terrorists that did sneak through because they’re all locked up now on Nauru or Manus Island and with any luck they will either rot to death or be sent to a country with an unpronounceable name where they can perish without our knowledge.
And no matter how much misery this Coalition government casts over our own lives we will vote for them because of their asylum seekers policies.
And it’s got me beat.