Wednesday 21 February 2017
It’s rather ironic that the President of the USA, a perverted obnoxious, blatant liar; a sexist, racist, misogynist and narcissist fool, should see himself qualified to describe the media as “the enemy of the American people”. It is laudable.
The problem is of course that Americans are prone to believe their own bullshit. Historically so. Donald Trump has, I imagine, been doing it all his life. Recently institutions usually reluctant to advise on the mental wellbeing of prominent citizens have broken ranks to declare the President mentally unwell.
Only a month into his presidency, the White House is in turmoil and Trump, rather than being born again with something like a presidential air, has become a source of contempt.
His latest Swedish lie (talk about fake news) and those he tweeted later, on top of the press conference debacle in which he told so many verifiable untruths, tends to confirm the mental health experts diagnosis.
“Give the public a break – The FAKE NEWS media is trying to say that large scale immigration in Sweden is working out just beautifully. NOT!’’
Meanwhile people in Sweden are trying to work out what sort of incident had occurred in their country. Nothing had, crime is down. Former PM tweeted. Sweden to Trump: “when you are in a hole, stop digging” and then offered some advice on immigration policy.
Like most narcissists who believe their own bullshit they have no sense of cultural morality and tell lie on top of lie trying to explain the first, or erase it all together. Like most people who cannot distinguish between truth and untruth they blame others and cannot believe why their version of the truth isn’t accepted as the gospel truth.
A person like Trump, so used to others agreeing with his every word, find it difficult to accept real world facts. Liars don’t always have good memories and it brings them undone. Trump’s answer to a lie is to tell another or multiples of others so that the preceding ones are diminished or forgotten.
His attack on the press might be justified if it were argued by someone with more dignity. Like Obama for example. But when a known liar is trying to prosecute a case of lying by others of better standards, it has no beginning and no end.
Senator John McCain has warned that suppression of a free press is ”how dictators get started” Need I say more.
Whatever your feelings towards President Trump you cannot deny that in a short space of time he is on track towards making America great again.
Here is some real truth.
- Unprecedented levels of ongoing civic engagement.
- Millions of Americans now know who their state and federal representatives are without having to google.
- Millions of Americans are exercising more. They’re holding signs and marching every week….
- Alec Baldwin is great again. Everyone’s forgotten he’s kind of a jerk.
- The Postal Service is enjoying the influx of cash due to stamps purchased by millions of people for letter and postcard campaigns.
- Likewise, the pharmaceutical industry is enjoying record growth in sales of anti-depressants. Millions of Americans now know how to call their elected officials and know exactly what to say to be effective.
- Footage of town hall meetings is now entertaining.
- Tens of millions of people are now correctly spelling words like emoluments, narcissist, fascist, misogynist, holocaust and cognitive dissonance.
- Everyone knows more about the rise of Hitler than they did last year.
- Everyone knows more about legislation, branches of power and how checks and balances work.
- Marginalized groups are experiencing a surge in white allies.
- White people in record numbers have just learned that racism is not dead. (See #6)
- White people in record numbers are also finally understand that Obamacare IS the Affordable Care Act. 15. Stephen Colbert’s “Late Night” finally gained the elusive #1 spot in late night talk shows, and Seth Meyers is finding his footing as today’s Jon Stewart.
- Mike Pence has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood since Nov. 9th.
- Melissa FREAKING McCarthy.
- Travel ban protesters put $24 million into ACLU coffers in just 48 hours, enabling them to hire 200 more attorneys. Lawyers are now heroes.
- As people seek veracity in their news sources, respected news outlets are happily reporting a substantial increase in subscriptions, a boon to a struggling industry vital to our democracy.
- Live streaming court cases and congressional sessions are now as popular as the Kardashians.
- Massive cleanup of facebook friend lists.
- People are reading classic literature again. Sales of George Orwell’s “1984” increased by 10,000% after the inauguration. (Yes, that is true. 10,000%. 9th grade Lit teachers all over the country are now rock stars.)
- More than ever before, Americans are aware that education is important. Like, super important.
- Now, more than anytime in history, everyone believes that anyone can be President. Seriously, anyone.
And from my American friend Ben Williamson:
“In today’s press conference, Trump told no less than five extremely easily debunked lies. My favorite was when he said his election was the largest margin since Reagan.
If you delete from history both of Obama’s wins, both of Bill Clinton’s wins, and H.W. Bush’s win, then yeah. It seems in Trump history, after Reagan, George W. Bush held the presidency for the next 20 years.
I know Republicans are not known for intelligence or integrity, but how long will it take for them to realize this monster is a pathological liar?’’
Next time I post I intend trying to analyse the press conference Ben refers to.
My thought for the day.
“Sometimes wisdom jumps a generation. Well, we can always hope’’.