This afternoon, Sunday 2nd August, 2015, Bronwyn Bishop, resigned as Speaker of the House, after public pressure over an expense scandal.
Tony Abbott, Prime Minister, told Australians that “it had been a ‘very difficult day’ for Mrs Bishop.” I’d like to take this opportunity to share with Tony Abbott the range of people who have also had a ‘very difficult day’ today because of the cuts and broken promises and poor decisions of the Prime Minister and his Government.
- Asylum Seekers on Manus Island and Nauru living in squalor in detention indefinitely.
- The young person on Newstart who will starve for a month because they have no welfare income.
- The young person in Regional Australia who has run out of petrol and is stranded, because the only service station that takes a Basics Card is closed.
- The Single Mother who is waiting until Wednesday to buy milk and bread because her payments have been reduced.
- The person with a disability who has been transferred to Newstart who has to decide between eating and petrol, because if they don’t go to their ‘obligated inhouse training’ they will get cut off.
- The woman Asylum seeker who is so ashamed she is crying because she isn’t allowed a sanitary napkin, because the Guard said she can’t have one.
- The low and middle income earner pensioner who is stressed and upset about their future after pension cuts.
- The woman with postnatal depression who no longer can go to her counselling sessions because she can’t get childcare because she isn’t working or studying.
- The jobless Australians worried that work if even further from their reach because of your China Trade Deal
- The chronic pain sufferer who is going without and living in pain due to increases in medication
- The Federal Public Servants you sacked who are worried they will lose their home because they can’t find another job
- Indigenous Australians in Remote Communities because you have denied them basic essential services and who will have nowhere to live because you are closing remote communities
- Sexually Abused women and children Asylum Seekers in detention because you failed to act on abuse claims
- The homeless person on Newstart stressing they won’t be able to eat when they get cut off, because their personal life barriers are a hindrance to applying for 20 jobs per month
- The Jobless South Australians who could be employed building submarines but they are still jobless.
- The Mother who is worried that she can’t afford to take her child to the doctor because the bulk-billing centre is full and you have put up Medicare through the back door
- The 756,100 jobless in Australia
- Young unemployed people in Regional Australia doing twice as many hours of slave labour with no workers comp protections under Work for the Dole
- The Bushfire and Cyclone victims whose lives will never be the same because they didn’t qualify for disaster assistance after your changes to disaster assistance criteria
- Everyday Citizens in local communities who no longer have access to services or maintained roads due to your cuts to Local Councils
That is just a list of 20 examples of people who don’t just have a difficult day, they have a difficult day every single day whilst your Government is hurting everyday Australians. Please call an election. It’s not just the Speaker who needed to go. Your entire Government needs to go.
Originally published on Polyfeministix