Below is the video of Bill Shorten’s address at the Labor Conference, regarding Asylum Seeker and immigration policies. Key points from the address are listed below:
- Immigration has been one of the secrets of Australia’s success.
- Shorten believes in a new direction for Australia’s immigration policies
- Accept more refugees and ensure we treat refugees more humanely
- Shorten guarantees to keep closed the lethal journey between Java and Christmas Island, which claims lives.
- Australia can be the greater, kinder nation, we want our children to see.
- A Labor Govt will keep more people safe in a more humane way
- Safe from persecution by dictatorial regimes
- Safe from the exploitation of criminal people smugglers who prey upon the vulnerable.
- Safe from abuse in facilities which even fail to meet the basic standard of decency
- Safe from losing people they love from having families torn apart from drownings at sea
- In addressing this, unlike the Liberal National Coalition, we do not play to the politics of fear
- Labor will never use labels to denigrate desperate people
- Fleeing persecution is not a crime
- We will not pander to a noisy tiny minority who will never embrace multi-cultural Australia
- Shorten acknowledges the history of Asylum seeker policy
- We must ensure Navy, customs officials and border force people never again pull bodies from waters
- We must maintain regional settlement agreements Labor introduced. Safest deterrent to people smugglers
- Under Labor’s policies people smugglers cannot falsely advertise settlement in Australia
- There are now over 60 million displaced people in the world through no fault of their own and this will only increase
- Risking lives in unsafe vessels will only increase and desperation will become more intense.
- We should never tolerate the exploitation of vulnerable people.
- We cannot allow people smugglers to take advantage of perceived weakness.
- We need to ensure people smugglers cannot traffic vulnerable people.
- We need to ensure Australia provides safe haven to a greater share of refugees
- Displaced people will arrive here more safely.
- We must have the option of turning boats around provided it is safe to do so.
- By 2025, a Labor Govt will double Australia’s annual refugee intake to 27,000 people.
- Labor will dedicate a portion of our program to resettling refugees from our region.
- Labor will abolish temporary protection visas
- Labor will reinstate the United Nations Refugee Convention in the Migration Act.
- Labor will reverse the Abbott Govt’s retrograde efforts to undermine international law
- Labor will deliver historic 450 million dollars to the United Nations High Commissioner for refugees
- Labor will take up overdue leadership role to work and engage with our neighbours, including Indonesia
- Labor supports regional processing.
- Processing offshore does not mean we can offshore or outsource our humanity
- Vulnerable people should never be subject to degrading violence in Australia’s name.
- To guarantee safety Labor will implement Independent oversight of every Australian funded facility
- Labor will ensure refugee claims are processed as quickly as possible.
- Labor will restore access to the refugee review tribunal
- Labor will ensure increased transparency for processing times.
- Labor will fulfil the solemn duty we owe to children.
- Labor will end the moral shame of children in detention as quickly as possible.
- Labor will establish an Independent Children’s Advocate
- Independent Children’s advocate will be separate from Department, Minister & Government, serving only the interests of children.
- In addition to Whistle Blower safeguards, Labor will legislate to impose mandatory reporting of any child abuse in all facilities.
- Labor’s plan ensures Australia takes a fair share of refugees
- Labor’s plan ensures refugees in our care are treated with humanity and dignity
- Labor’s plan ensures that Australia steps up and fulfils a greater responsibility as a global citizen
- Shorten says he did not enter politics to shirk hard decisions and hard issues
- Shorten is determined for our country to be responsible in the world and secure at home
- Shorten is determined for us to be a welcoming, kind, compassionate and safe destination
- Shorten is determined Labor will achieve this for Australia.
*Video sourced from Bill Shorten’s Facebook page.
Originally published on Polyfeministix
Like what we do at The AIMN?
You’ll like it even more knowing that your donation will help us to keep up the good fight.
Chuck in a few bucks and see just how far it goes!
Your contribution to help with the running costs of this site will be gratefully accepted.
You can donate through PayPal or credit card via the button below, or donate via bank transfer: BSB: 062500; A/c no: 10495969